View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I think these folks are banking on the internet becoming ubiquitous. More commuter vehicles will provide connectivity. More hotels and restaurants will too. If mobile WiMax comes along as we hope it would, connectivity will become much easier for commuters.
Internet access is getting better, but it is far from ubiquitous. And commuter access has political and financial hurdles greater than the technological ones. I heard rumors of plans to put Wifi repeaters in the subway tunnels in NYC. I will believe that when I see it.

Quote:
I know it feels like a step backward to return to the big-computer-with-dumb-terminals model of computing, but there are some advantages for some people. Companies could centralize their services on one machine, or just buy the services. People wouldn't need to upgrade their computers to enhance productivity. Data security would be enhanced (we would hope) and automated. And one's data and programs could be accessed from anywhere in the civilized world.
That's already happening. My former employer, for example, did its best to have employees store all files on servers, and not keep local copies on their workstations.

Quote:
For me the Asus EEE would answer a few prayers, but I think I would use such a web-based service too. The last time I traveled to the west, I put my essential data on an online storage service so I could be sure of not losing it if the airline lost my bag, or some other disaster happened. Nivio would be very handy for a traveling writer. Too bad the name sounds like a deodorant.
I use web based services too. It's handy when I will be traveling, and even handier for distribuded collaboration with others. But as mentioned, this is a supplement to what I do locally, not a replacement.

Quote:
As for using a remote terminal to my home machine, that would be useful too, providing someone stays home to keep the machine up. We have frequent power failures. When I travel I am usually gone for a month or more.
And that brings up another potential issue with all of your data stored somewhere else. A battery power laptop will let you keep working if the power fails, but the odds are good the power outage will kill your net connection.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote