View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #47
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I ordered the device on impulse (5pm), cancelled the order shortly after (3am), and after a full work day of processing my cancellation request (Friday), they shipped it Saturday or Monday (arrived Tuesday). Parcels usually arrive the day after shipping for me, Germany is just not that large compared to other countries

And when it arrived, I couldn't resist taking a closer look at it. So...

Small display comparison Story HD vs. Odyssey Frontlight HD.

Where the Story HD has pixels, the Frontlight HD has a blur effect, due to the extra light/touch layers which the Story HD doesn't have.

You don't really see a difference with the naked eye, and I'm still not sure whether the effect is a good or a bad thing.

The device as a whole is impressive. FrontLight is a great feature for people who need light (people who read everywhere including train/bus/airplane at night etc.). It's not really necessary if you only ever read at home (and have a good lighted environment for reading).

If you don't like touchscreens, which all modern and future ereaders are apparently going to have, this is probably the best compromise you're going to get (there are still page flip buttons on the sides). Books look nice, great for reading, and unlike the Story HD, a decent amount of settings for fonts, font sizes, screen refresh behaviour, etc.

However, I also had two device freezes not sure why, my usb connector was a bit odd, and the LEDs at the bottom were a tad too visible for me - you have to hold the device at an angle away from you. I ended up returning the device, and I'll stick to the Story HD for now despite all its shortcomings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vinciman.png
Views:	1070
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	96937   Click image for larger version

Name:	macro-original.png
Views:	483
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	96938   Click image for larger version

Name:	macro-story-hd.png
Views:	481