View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I can see maybe a tax break for indy bookstores themselves, but from what I understand the publishers are making money hand over fist (with such icons of high culture as snooki) and don't need a bailout.

Everyone points to Borders as being a casualty of the ebook wars, but from what i understand it was the result of decades of bad management.
Most Indy bookstores are small businesses and the likely qualify for any number of tax breaks and what-not. At this point any further aid would have to be upfront subsidies, most likely.
Now, the big boys... Well that is a whole different kettle.

I was just amused to see Patterson "stepping up" to "protect culture", bringing up bailouts himself, and specfically singling out the "Major Publishing Houses" as needing the bailouts.
Yeah, those giant multinationals, all headquartered outside the US, need taxpayer funding and nobody is going to make a populist issue out of it.
Nope, not at all...

When I first saw the ad and the Salon interview defending it my first thought was somebody had Onioned them.

I have to wonder if Turow put him up to it.
(Or, maybe, his last co-authored masterpiece drew a slightly lighter than usual advance?)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote