View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #140
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
readers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xachariah View Post
I see a lot of hate for the Hanlin V3, I've got the Bebook flashed with OpenInkpot and have absolutely no issues with it. I see a lot of people calling it 'cheap and plasticky' but its very solid and has a utilitarian form. I am a pragmatist and only buy things I need, not because they are flashy and shiny. I don't think it should be rated poorly solely because it doesn't have a tacky metallic finish.

Sure it doesn't have a dedicated bookstore or support for DRM, but I strip DRM off as a matter of course. Organisation is basically hierarchical folders and I have arranged those in a way that I can easily find whatever book I want in seconds, even with over 300 books. (Basically by authors alphabetically.)

Battery life is less than advertised, but I suppose that is because I read the books from the SD card, I'm led to understand the SD card drains power above and beyond the e-readers normal functions.

I have found the .pdf support somewhat lacking, and I am considering upgrading my e-reader. It's a lovely device in every way but I may need to use .pdf's a lot for final year of university in 2010.

How good is the iliad with PDF's? I'm attracted to the idea of a device that's decent with PDF's and still a good mobile formfactor for reading normal fiction .prc. But I'm considering having two devices, one mobile for normal books (perhaps my current Bebook) and a larger reader for PDF's, but that seem's a little akward and inefficient.

I'm strongly leaning towards the iliad as a catchall reader as opposed to having two interchangable, which seem's somewhat wasteful (no offense).
I am waiting for the new Sony 600 to come out and I've read Irex has a new model due out soon as well. I'm also sort of watching Aztak but am still not sure about that one. Irex seems to have great ereaders but they are priced higher. I do know I don't want a 5 inch screen. That just seems too small. For those with PDF requirements, most on this site suggest the Irex.
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote