View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Get three free months of unlimited e-books from Scribd

As found on the CNET Cheapskate blog (http://www.cnet.com/news/get-three-f...s-from-scribd/)

I've yet to try it, but with three months free I may

Quote:
Want to see what a "Netflix for e-books" might be like? Here's your chance to find out for a full 90 days.

by Rick Broida @cheapskateblog
April 17, 2014 5:30 AM PDT

Last October, Scribd joined the likes of Entitle and Oyster in offering an all-you-can-read, flat-rate subscription service -- a kind of "Netflix for e-books."

Normally it costs $8.99 per month, though you can try it free for 30 days. Now, however, thanks to a promotion with More Magazine, you can get a free Scribd subscription for three months .

Because I suspect some of you will object to this, let me state right up front that you'll need to provide a credit card (or PayPal account). I know: outrageous! But consider: Most other companies have the same requirement for a trial subscription, including Netflix, Hulu, Spotify...shall I go on?

The key thing to remember is your card won't be charged if you cancel within that free 90 days. Obviously Scribd hopes you won't, hence the extra trial bait.

The service currently touts some 300,000 books in its library. You can access any and all of them via your Web browser or Android or iOS device. Scribd also introduced a Kindle fire app a couple months back.

I'm keen to hear what you think of this. I'm all over the idea of unlimited e-books, especially if I can share an account with family members. But most of the subscription services I've tried (this one included) have too limited a selection. Indeed, it reminds me of the Kindle Lending Library that's included with Amazon Prime: not enough stuff worth reading.

But, hey, you've got 90 no-obligation days to plumb the depths of Scribd's catalog. Just remember to mark your calendar a few days ahead of the end so you remember to cancel. Unless, of course, you've fallen in love with it. Could happen.

Last edited by gabby98; 04-19-2014 at 03:23 AM.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote