View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Conversions from RTF (to mobi/epub)

I've just spent the past couple of days playing with conversions from RTF to epub and mobi format. I read epub on my android phone and mobi on my Kindle.

I realize html is a better starting format than RTF but I actually have fairly simple needs. I'm converting novels, so there's really no fancy formatting or graphics other than a bit of bold or italics, and I find RTF more human-readable.

That said, I'm having some newbie-ish trouble implementing calibre's structure detection

I have all chapter headers on their own line and start with the word "Chapter". I chose the setting to "force use of auto-generated table of contents". The chapter mark is set to "both" (page break + ruled line). I'm also pre-processing the file.

1) I get chapter markers but only for "some" chapters. On one book I don't get them for any. All have the word "Chapter" in bold text with the written name of the chapter number. (ie: Chapter One). This happens on both mobi files and epub files. There doesn't seem to be any obvious standard to when the chapter breaks occur and when they don't.

2) Dedication pages. Dedications are usually short but are supposed to appear on their own page. Is there some sort of hand markup I can put in a RTF file to force page breaks before and after? I tried ctrl-enter but it doesn't create a new page (maybe this is a limitation of RTF?)

3) Is there way to have calibre force epubs to create a new physical .xhtml page for each new chapter? My understanding is that simple devices like cell phones can struggle with big .xhtml pages in epubs and the more "pages" you can have in the epub the better.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote