View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Shamisenrat
Shamisenrat began at the beginning.

Device: sony Reader
New and Confused

Hi everyone, and happy holidays!

I have received a lovely Sony PRS 505 for Christmas and whilst I love the machine itself I am disappointed inthe range of titles available to me, so I'm looking at other ways of getting legitimate things to read. I've been reading around on the site and other sites and am now getting so much conflicting advice I need to step back and ask for help! Sorry that I am asking the basics, but I really would appreciate help! I don't want an expensive present to prove a white elephant!

1.I'm in the UK so the Sony/Waterstones range seems poor. Am I restricted in purchasing from certain sites such as Fictionwise?
2. I see that Fictionwise and Gutenberg are probably the main sites to go with. In terms of file types...I was under the impression that PDF was the main type, now I read about ltf. What other formats can be read without my having to mess about with them, and how limited am I?
3.What is Book Designer and is it a free software? I think I get the principle that it's to convert certain texts into a readable format but I am reluctant to download anything that isn't legitimate and I am poor right now so would like to be able to format things for free.
4.I write books and poetry/short stories myself and would love to be able to put this onto my Reader - preferably as a book with chapters etc but as individual documents if needed. Can I do so without Book designer, and how?

Please explain these processes as though talking to a child I really appreciate your help.

Many thanks
Shamisenrat is offline   Reply With Quote