View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #17
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
I don't know what glare you are talking about on the kindle 2. It does not have an extra layer like the Sony 600 so it by no means has that much glare. I had a 600 and returned it because the glare was bad. I could see my reflection in low lighting situations. That is never the case with the kindle 2. And the contrast on the kindle 2 is still a bit better and with the font hack is just as good as the sony 300 & 505.
I'm sure if you've followed Kindle 2 discussion you're aware that there are several variations of the actual screen in use. So whatever you're experience, it might differ from my device. In my case if there is spot lighting (like a regular light bulb in the house) as the light source then there will be, at certain angles, a very bright reflection, or glare from that light. It's not a problem because I can tilt the Kindle, but, it does exist and it is impossible for me to see through that glare when I don't tilt. The PRS-600 I used had the exact same effect. I noticed no other reflection problems otherwise, but, I also don't read in low light situations. I always have at least a 60 watt equivalent light source nearby or on the device.

It may be worth noting that I'm also a fan of glossy screens like those found on iMacs or some laptops. It's interesting how given the exact same surface some people's eyes will focus on the reflection on the surface and others will focus on the screen below the surface and never notice the reflections except for bright blinding lights. Maybe that's the case here.

In any case, there are merely my experiences and not meant to be a scientific breakdown of what these products will or won't do.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote