Thread: LCD vs. e-ink
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #34
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What development of eInk has t do with LCD technology? All computer monitors are LCD, most of TVs are. LCD technology is being used everywhere. All tablets are LCD based. They are equivalents of ebook readers. You cannot make it any better because you need a huge battery to support LCD for puny 10-12 hours and bigger cases to accommodate all of it.
Do you blame eInk that LCD development is stagnated and incapable of being able to be squeezed into ebook reader case of PRS-650 size and keep on running for 2 weeks without a need for recharge? For not being able to be readable on a sunny day? eInk is a culprit.
Interesting.
Are you kidding me? When was the last LCD device made aimed squarely at reading? Panasonic Words Gear maybe? Cruz Reader? Words Gear failed and never made it out of Japan. Cruz Reader is a low quality device, but certainly a step in the right direction. This has nothing to do with the technology itself and everything to do with a reading-specific device. I do blame eink for stagnated LCD ebook reader development. Ebookwise-1150 ring a bell? Why are you trying to argue over something completely different than what I am writing? Tablets are a fairly new technology, which can read, but aren't designed as dedicated readers. Nook Color, although has Android, the OS is locked down and features are aimed at reading content of all kinds. I've been on this site for years (as you have Astra) talking about LCD and converging devices. I'm happy there are tablets like iPad and Galaxy Tab that offer a powerful converged experience. At the same time, I see a huge market for an LCD reading specific device the size of the Nook Color for people who just want a paperback-sized reader that works in the dark. It has a high quality screen as well as a lower price. Argue till you are out of breath, I'm done with it, except to say there is room for both types of technology in the market, just don't say eink is preferred by a majority when it just isn't true.

Last edited by ColdSun; 10-30-2010 at 02:50 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote