View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Certainly the CSS page-break avoid is the best solution when it is an available choice and when the target device supports this. Enclose the image and the caption in a div statement and set it to avoid. This is an excellent choice when the page image is not forced to be at the top of the next page and particularly where multiple screen sizes are used. Forcing the image to the top of the next page with page-break always is another choice.

Dale
Yes, and we put this (page-break:avoid) in every single book that could use it, to "future-set" them, for a day and age when hopefully, that will work. However, most devices still don't obey that. The 1st-Gen iPad still has a bug in iBooks (which Apple has flatly stated that they will not bother fixing) that makes this coding almost worthless.

@Tex2002ans:

No, inline-block doesn't work for Kindles, and yes, you've seen me post about fallback coding for K7's, because the vast majority of "fixes" being posted these days here on MR completely ignore all the K7 devices in the world, and won't work. Because Ruben uses a K8 device, that's what he designs for, and, I assume, what he tests on, but he (and other posters) doesn't/don't bother to create fallback styling.

As a commercial bookmaker, I don't have the luxury of ignoring millions of K7 devices, so I have to think about these things, and that's why you see me posting it. With no disrespect to Ruben, who has a lot of very nice coding, solving most of the Kindle "problems" isn't very problematic when you only need to think about K8.

I concur that lossy horror ensues when captions are attached to images. However, some clients just can't get past the idea of it captions separating from images. {shrug}. When given their various choices, if it's that important to them, that's what they'll choose. And again, if they want to pay us to sit there and do this type of menial labor, that's their choice, but we always give them an example to see what happens when you try to zoom the image, etc., and it's something we recommend against.

Until people become accustomed to the idea of ebooks, this will continue to happen--the square-peg, round hole-ness of it all. I recently decided to stop taking poetry, because we simply can't charge enough to compensate for what we go through, in explanations about line-wrapping, indentations, the fact that you can't "space over 7 spaces, exactly," for whatever, and, to be blunt, the amazing amount of verbal/written abuse we take whenever a poet thinks that somehow, you've screwed with his "creative vision." It's just not worth it. We have a book that's been in production since December, and the worst part is, it's still in PRINT, and this client screams at us every single time he gets the book back (even though, last time, he'd already approved the book--said it was perfect; wanted three small word-for-word text changes, and then screamed when he got it back that we'd "changed" it, which we hadn't. He'd approved a book that was exactly the same, excepting those three words.) I literally live in dread of what's going to happen when we send him the ePUB and MOBI. (And this whole thing? For a chapbook of poetry? About $300, total. Since DECEMBER.) So....no more poetry for us, either. Too much brain-damage, too little return, and for the life of me, I don't understand the mindset that says it's okay to berate people, (for no reason, mind you) which seems to be the hallmark of dealing with poetry.

</ poetry rant>

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote