View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
I have unpacked the paperwhite 5.3.1 update.bin image and looked through all of the .png files.

I have not found the image that is used as the waterstones screensaver image.

does anyone know where this image is?

if not I'll continue trying to locate it by scp'ing my kindle's root dir to local storage.

andy
First (poor) assumption above:
That the file will be visible in the simply unpacked file.

Hint:
From your ssh command line connection to the Kindle, issue:
mount
command. Take note of all the cramfs (compressed file systems) that are mounted.
Look those up in the image, mount those, then also look there.
(And if all you have available is Windoze, your S.O.L. at this point.)

OR -

Try using the
find
command starting from reasonable places in the Kindle's system tree.

OR -

As you guessed, try to copy over the mounted file system image.
**AVOIDING**: /sys , /proc, /dev, /mnt/us, (and anything else that would make the copy command hang or that is known not to have the screen saver).

A better tool than scp would be to do the copy with rsync (you can specify **ignored** parts of the file system tree with rsync - although you could also script a whole bunch of scp commands).

Remember the man(ual) command is your friend, and web search engines know it as a search term, as in:
man rsync
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote