View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 AM   #1010
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax View Post
May I ask after which book of the series you became a fan of it?
I just read the first two books and I am quite impressed by the sheer number of passionate Dresden Files fans in so many literature forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I just finished the third book. I don't think I'll go for the fourth. I dunno, it just doesn't fly with me for some reason. Spent a lot of time thinking "Why am I even reading this" and that's when I have to step back and go for something else. It's strange because I usually have no complaints about stories with lots of wizbangs and the occasional naked chick
If it doesn't work for you at all after the first book or two (though #3 was the first standout for me), it's probably just not up your alley. I would call myself an unlikely Dresden fan, with an active bias against "urban fantasy" and no history of enjoying hard-boiled detectives, but the stubborn-as-hell, honorable-to-a-fault (and beyond) character along with the wit of the writing drew me right in.

I'll stipulate that I probably wouldn't *read* these novels, but consume them as audiobooks. Most of my fantasy consumption these days is audio, where I look for "easy listening"--novels without particularly elevated language or complex ideas, and plots where I can fill in the blanks easily enough should I nod off and not feel like backtracking.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote