View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
drzeller
drzeller has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PC, Windows Mobile Phones
Here was my feedback to Amazon:

As user of the Kindle 2, and more recently the Kindle DX, I have a few ideas and feedback I would like to share with you.

HW/Interface:
  1. I miss the left hand buttons for page changing that I have on my K2.
  2. Turning the DX upside down for accessing the buttons on the left is awkward, and leaves the keyboard, the Menu button, and 5-way controller in bad positions. It is also less convenient to put the Kindle on your stomach/lap, as the bottom portion of the screen then sinks into the shirt, blanket, pants, etc.
  3. I miss the dedicated number keys from the K2.
  4. I miss the ability to set the line spacing (using the Alt-Shift-# keys)
  5. I would like to be able to set the 5-way controller to turn pages when pushed left/right when reading.

PDF's:

The current PDF support is minimal at best.
  1. We need the ability to move through long documents easier.
  2. We need the ability to leverage document links -- e.g. table of contents, indices, page links.
  3. We need the ability to highlight and annotate the documents.
  4. It would be nice to be able to reflow documents.
  5. It would be nice to be able to zoom into documents.
  6. It would be nice to have word definitions pop up as we do in non-PDF documents.
Organization:

As Kindle users begin collecting larger libraries, the ability to manage them efficiently becomes quite important.
  1. We need a means of categorizing documents and subsequently to view document lists by those categories.
  2. I would prefer a folder-based organization method - which would be familiar and easy to leverage for most PC-literate people, and not too difficult for non-PC literate people.
  3. Some people would like to manage by keywords, though I personally would not find this as useful, as I would have to modify tags or metadata as re-organize, rather than just dragging documents among folders.
  4. I want the ability to permanently remove a document from the Kindle and online. For example, I purchased a book that had content I did not realize was in it, and that I do not want hanging around. I would like the ability to permanently remove it, which support says is not possible.

Subscriptions:
  1. Newspapers and Magazines should be shareable across members of the same account. When I get a magazine at home, I can let my wife or family members read it. I would not subscribe to the magazine two or three times, and don't expect to with the Kindle, either. So I don't subscribe to any instead. Same with newspapers.
  2. I was quite surprised how much of a newspaper (The NY Times) was not in the Kindle version. I will not suscribe to a Kindle newspaper until I get reasonably comparable content to the version I get at home or on the newstand. Put an ad at the bottom of each article if you have to - but give me the whole paper.
  3. The quantity of magazines and newspapers available has not grown much since launch. I was hoping for more options. Since there are rumors (from Jeff's interview a few days ago) that there will be more software-based readers available, I hope you are pursuing color subscriptions, which non-Kindle people would enjoy. I am guessing color is one reason magazines are not lining up yet.
  4. Best option: Buy Zinio and make their magazines and text books available on the Kindle and in Kindle software-based readers.

Other Things:
  1. Please provide software for a PC that allows viewing of Kindle content. Especially at work, we can't always have our Kindle with us, and this gives us a way to keep reading. It is particulary important for textbooks, cookbooks, or reference materials that we may want to view without a Kindle.
  2. Consider allowing the current page to be displayed instead of a picture during sleep mode. This would be good for cookbooks, textbooks, very slow readers(!), etc.
  3. Provide the ability to jump between books using a simple method (not Home, cursor-cursor, Select). Something like Alt-Q, Alt- W...Alt-Y for six documents.
  4. Provide a similar ability to jump between two or more locations in the current book.
  5. This document and location jumping should include PDF's as well.

Bonus Stuff:
  1. I would like a calendar (not appointments, just a calendar). Having a means of seeing a schedule would be ok, too!
  2. I would like to be able to customize the pictures that come on during sleep mode.
  3. Provide a program that acts as a printer on a PC that allows one to print a document to the Kindle. Drop the files in a selected location on the computer and/or email them directly to the Kindle - using the existing fee structure for @kindle.com
  4. I understand the Kindle 1 was able to location you on a Google map. That would be nice to have. Especially when in the city.

Longer Term:
  1. I look forward to the first color Kindle. In the mean time, a PC program would be great! And it may lead to better magazine/newspaper uptake, and better images in textbooks.
  2. Please keep the limitations of the Kindle in mind when pricing books. I can't give a Kindle book away or donate it, or even share it within the family unless we all have Kindles. There are of course lower production costs as well. Based on that, I feel a lower price point is called for. I find the original "promise" of $10 books an appealing one. And never do I expect the Kindle version to cost more than the current in-print prices. I realize that the publishers have a hand in the pricing, but perhaps some guidelines, and maybe a program that alerts you/them to inverse pricing (Kindle over print) so they can be addressed upfront.
  3. I think it would be great if the USB port on the Kindle could handle an accessory like a page turning remote. Set you Kindle down/in a stand/etc and turn the pages while sitting back. For that matter, duplicate all the existing keys on a little keyboard unit (as well - not instead of the simple one). That would be a boon to technical/student usage. Put the Kindle on a table beyond your notebooks (pads), laptop, etc yet still be able to turn pages, search, take notes, etc.
  4. A reading/docking station would not be bad, either.
  5. Please sell the Kindle "binder" piece so hobbyists can make their own cases.

Thank you for considering my input.
drzeller is offline   Reply With Quote