View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #54
ijonikis
ijonikis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Just checking, You clicked on the copy on the Kindle and selected to add it to the calibre library?

Just to clarify for other users who might be reading, calibre does not alter the formatting of books imported (added) into calibre.

If you see what appear to be problems there are two possibilities that come to mind.

1. If you are viewing the book in calibre's viewer (which is essentially an ePub viewer) be aware that there is a quick conversion to a basic epub view before viewing. If you are viewing a prc, mobi, or azw book, that book was converted before viewing.

If you want to check the quality of the book use something like Kindle4PC to view the book instead of calibre's viewer. It is quite possible the only thing wrong is the book you are viewing isn't playing nice with calibre's initial conversion before being viewed.

2. The plugins you added to calibre from Apprentice Alf may be corrupt or old.

Most likely number 1.
Many thanks for the reply. I was viewing an azw file I bought from Amazon. Converting the book to epub did actually bring a lot more of the book into view - before it cut out at chapter 2 - now it cuts out at chapter 6. But I still can't see the whole book and there are is still one section (which demonstrates computer code) that moves over to the right but is still readable. I don't see how the plugin would be the problem - wouldn't it be all or nothing?

I've solved my immediate problem by arranging for my son to read the book in the Cloud (yes I should have thought of that before tired after work my only excuse) but I would still like to understand why there is a problem reading it in Calibre.
ijonikis is offline   Reply With Quote