View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #48
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is called consistency by Humans, normalized by database folks
Off-topic, but actually, for us db folks normalizing is something entirely different. Shortly, it's organising data in tables in such a way that you avoid redundancy, and avoid storing different entities in a single field or row. For instance, calibre stores each author only once in a separate table instead of having a text column in the book table, this makes you able to re-use that entry for multiple books, and to easily add and remove an arbitrary number of authors in a single book. Maintenance and data re-use becomes vastly simpler: correct/fetch the name in this single row only, and it changes everywhere it's used instead of you having to update all book rows. Column names like author1, author2 and so on in a book table is nightmare fuel for db people. I wouldn't normally nitpick in this manner, but I reckon that you in particular might actually appreciate it.

Also, {LN, FN} is the only correct way to record names in a library. Relax, I'm (mostly) joking
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote