View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #30
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I've had a Kindle 2 since Nov 20 and a Kobo since May 1. In some cases, I have read the same book on each reading, swapping between chapters. They are a different experience but -- just for reading -- they are very similar. The quilted back of the Kobo and its lighter weight is a pleasure. Yes, it is slower to boot up and turn pages but my life is not so hectic that this is a "problem". The screens appear pretty much as crisp to me as one another -- although I prefer the Kindle 2 font.

But there is the value thing. When Kindle 2 (in Canada) was $259 + shipping and the Kobo was $149 and walk out of the store ... call it half price -- the Kobo really shone for someone wanting a very basic, elegant reader that handles DRMed ePubs. The Kobostore isn't bad for choice and fills in gaps that Amazon misses. Plus, you do get library books without any transformation.

Kindle 3 changes everything. At $139 + shipping it's pretty much the same hunk of the wallet as the Kobo and delivers far more. Allegedly better screen, dictionary (I love that feature), Kindle formatted books and the Kindle store, the Amazon user community and Amazon's amazing customer service. And with WiFi I will start to play with the social network sharing and enjoy direct access to Calibre at home without plugging in; and so on. Plus, the form factor has been reduced making it "handle" similarly to Kobo AND maintain page turn buttons on both sides of the device.

Kobo has dropped to $128 this weekend in Canada; and Borders has been selling it at $149 with a $20 gift card all along. Sony appears to have dropped the PRS300 5" model to $99 on its online store (it's $149 plus a free case plus a $25 gift card); Best Buy has it at $128 ... I suspect the $99 Kobo is literally around the corner.

So what then? Kindle 3 with lifetime 3G at $189 or WiFi only at $139 or Kobo stripped down with library access at $99? At that point my advice is buy both: at $228 its cheaper than the Kindle 2 was and you get the library access and a backup reader. Or skip the Kobo is the library thing (and the somewhat different e-book selection at Kobo) isn't important.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote