View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #24
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
Clint,
I am not saying the Kobo is bad. I just found that after several days of use it wasn't for me. Combine that with new information that came out -- the new Kindle -- and I chose to return it. The fact is, for me and other people who have never owned an ebook reader, we are only going to understand these things by using them for a while. We are not early adopters prepared to throw away money -- we've waited years for the technology to develop and hope to get a product that really satisfies us. Barnes and Noble and Amazon realize that and have clear return policies -- precisely so that we will buy and give it a try. Borders doesn't, and so I wouldn't recommend somebody get a Kobo at a Borders store unless they were absolutely sure of their decision.

I think anybody using this forum to help learn about these machines is way ahead of the game in terms of doing research. Insulting me with "a minute of online research" type statements is kind of silly. How could I possibly know that the stiffness of the button would begin to bother me over time? How could I know that I'd end up loving the ability to use Calibre to get newspapers, but that I'd find library books more trouble than they're worth? How could I know that a major competitor would release a competitive product just days later?

None of these gadgets is perfect, and it's a disservice to simply disregard the comments other people make by claiming other people know nothing or were stupid. We are genuinely trying to list the positives and negatives of different products. I still think the Kobo is better for me than the Nook, but I think the Kindle will be better yet. If it isn't better, I'll return it and get the Kobo again. For other people, I think the Nook is best. It is simply a question of honestly sharing information.
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote