View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingduct View Post
I actually bought a Kobo just a couple of days before the Kindle 3 was announced and I returned the Kobo and pre-ordered the Kindle. I think the Kobo is a good product, but a few things started nagging at me:
1) My right thumb got sore because the button was stiff and there was no way to change pages with the left thumb.
2) While very light, the button was located in the corner of the device, making it hard to actually hold in one hand (I have small hands).
3) Battery life, according to the battery indicator, seemed worse than expected.
4) The screen was fine, but I was able to appreciate how a slightly better screen would be nice in lower light situations. (I never directly compared the screen to a Nook or Kindle, but I did compare to a Sony 300 and felt they were similar in readability. The new Kindle should be better, though how much better is still unknown.)
5) I am a Linux user and it turned out that there is no straightforward way to get library books if you use Linux. This isn't Kobo's fault, but it meant that one of the strengths of the Kobo vs the Kindle was taken away.

I liked the Kobo, but when the new Kindle was announced and was almost as light as the Kobo and had better battery life, as well as hopefully being better on the ergonomics front, I changed my mind. In your case, it sounds like having both makes sense, since you really want to use the library feature a lot.

I should note that my Kobo came from a Borders store and they gave me a hard time about returning it (they said they didn't take electronics returns). The manager was nice and they eventually took it back, but it was stressful for me.
I had to return my Kobo last week, 3 days before it's one month purchase anniversary came up an it was a terrible experience. I was told when I bought it, I had 30 days to return and when I did return, I was treated like I was trying to scam or steal and that electronic items could NOT be returned. As it was not functioning properly at all, I was pretty irate and refused to be stuck with it My Kobo was PAINFULLY slow, slow to turn on, off, load and page turns were 5 seconds and finally the unit started freezing between the turns. The battery would not hold a charge properly and had to be juiced daily if used. I loved it's size, weight, format but felt it would fail entirely if I waited another day to return . With the announcement of the new Kindle 3 and itss smaller size, clear screen and longer battery life, I decided I did NOT want another Kobo, but would do with Kindle. My daughter has one and has had no problems at all in almost 2 years.
I have a Jetbook which I love everything about except it's hard for me to read in evening and purchased the e-ink Kobo for that purpose. Now I"m pretty hopeful that the new Kindle will fill that spot. I'm on a daily countdown for its arrival like a kid.
I owe Noah98 an apology as he was correct about Kobo and Nook and the ability to sideload the Nook like Jetbook and Nook can read DRM books from the county library. Yes, one can never load B & N bookstore software and still drag and drop epubs right to Nook easily. This forum is a huge benefit to us all and yes if we (meaning myself) make a mispost or mistake, we should be corrected by user knowing this so the errors don't perpetuate as fact.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote