Thread: Get Well Slow
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Get Well Slow

My body has been no great friend of mine so far this century and has developed the habit of landing me in hospital for long stretches.

And I must admit that this tendency was added motivation to get myself an ebook reading device.

I bought my Sony PRS-505 early last year and have, unfortunately, been in rude good health ever since and not had the chance to discover just how much good it would do me lying in a bed in a country where hospitals carry only small libraries -- and those in a language not my mother tongue.

So -- yipee! -- you can imagine my glee when it was sprung on me this week that I wasn't as healthy as I feared and that I need three rounds of heavy surgery starting on April Fool's Day.

Now I will be able to test my theory that an unlimited supply of good books will aid recovery, make recovery time enjoyable rather than unbearable, or both.

This first time around, I'll be in for only a week to ten days. The other two bouts might mean longer stretches on my back, maybe even a stay in a convalescent clinic in the hills. So this wee Sony PRS-505 is going to be loaded to the gills with books from my lengthy TBR list and put through its paces.

Sadly, I may well have internet access, which would oblige me to do at least some work to avoid a big guilt trip. But whatever, my much extended recreational reading time will make for a dream vacation.

I'll miss MR if I'm out of touch for long, but I promise that I'll now be catching up on many sound recommended reads from my pals here.

And if anyone wants to send me a card, make sure it reads ... Get Well SLOW!

Slainte ba. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 03-26-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Toedit out the bit about Monaco nurses.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote