View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 11:42 AM   #39
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
Now, the other thing about needing a tablet to do more than read I disagree with. ... So yes, it's a decent device for people getting into e-readers and tablets at the same time.
Not exactly the angle that most edge users are coming from. It's not that it's an e-reader and a tablet smushed together. You do *need* both pieces for it to be a true workhorse and not just a mediocre reader with a mediocre tablet attached: browsing the web and making handwritten notes on the e-ink side; sending web pages to the e-ink side converted as ePubs or PDFs, reading a book and (a) having your email or a twitter feed open or (b) looking something up in a web browser and not needing to send one to the background in order to focus on the other.

I don't find it very useful to compare it to either an e-reader or a tablet because it's that middle ground and ability to decently function as both where it shines. The both is key to this device's success, and that's why people who really wanted an all-purpose, integrated device are most happy with it.

My 10" EE replaced my laptop for 2 - 3 months. It was the only computer I had for that time. I managed quite well not because it was in any way as good as my macbook, or the MBA I replaced it with, but because it handled multiple needs so well.

So if you're really trying to cultivate a relationship with your edge, think of ways to take advantage of the dual screen, of two separate apps working together. To focus on just individual things the machine can do likely won't give you the same warm and fuzzies, because it probably won't do any of those things as well as something else can.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote