View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
A few years ago I took my old Sony PRS-500 and connected it to a PC. I wanted to give it away and I needed to connect to it and delete books from memory.
I connected the reader, started Calibre and ... nothing happened.
I found out Kovid dropped support for the old PRS-500 a few years ago. It took me a *long* time to get the old version of Calibre running. And that was not after 150 years, but after two.
Calibre has many, many dependencies. Just have a look at dependencies here: http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
I can hear dropping support for a no-longer-made device a lot more than a format. Devices wear out, files don't.

Any old version should still work out-of-the-box, as it is distributed as a standalone binary with bundled dependencies??? The only outside dependency is glibc >= 2.10

In 150 years, I could hear that no current binaries would run outside emulators -- who knows what the world may look like then . But I see you got it working anyway which goes to prove my point.

Shouldn't you be able to connect to folder anyway, though?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote