View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
Darkitow
Enthusiast
Darkitow doesn't litterDarkitow doesn't litterDarkitow doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
The PDF is a text one, not scans, I'm not too sure how was it done because it looks pretty much like the "physical" book, it has all the edition and publisher stuff too.

I own the paperback book already and this one seems like a different edition because my book is like 900+ pages while this one is around 450, so I guess the one I have in my computer is the hardcover edition or something. My book doesn't have a header either, just page numbers. I've tried to scan my book, but I don't really wanna tear it apart when there are copies in the internet already that would save me that work and the murder of my poor book, lol.

So, as I was saying, I have no idea how was the PDF created. The header and the page numbers are "normal text", I mean that it doesn't appear in any program as "header" so I can't use any kind of command to "remove headers". I guess the book was scanned and OCR'd but it's really well done and without typos that I've found yet...

[EDIT] Well it seems I managed to do it, thankfully the page numbers were all labelled as "titles" or "subtitles", and the headers were all the same text so I could get rid of everything with a bit of Search/Replace and another bit of Element Browser. I also fixed some thingies like empty paragraphs between pages and moved all the translation notes to the end of the text.

My only problem now is that the book is full of "bad ends" and "broken sentences". I've been searching around in the forums but I couldn't manage to find a way to fix it without moving the text to a different program (and honestly I wouldn't like that as I have the book almost fixed). I've tried with some regexp checks but I don't know exactly what to do. There are more than two thousands of those, so doing it manually could end with me throwing the computer out of the window, and I wouldn't like that. <_<

Last edited by Darkitow; 05-16-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Darkitow is offline   Reply With Quote