View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #169
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I may have to do just that--I always thought that I was against "piracy" and would never consider uploading a book/song/movie to a torrent site, or even emailing one to a friend.
Same here, except I've emailed a few to a friend. None of the ebooks I've bought have been given to more than a single person other than the one it was purchased for. The only time my books come close to using all of the 6 simultaneous copies we're allowed, is when I have one going on all my devices.

Stealing from someone is something I couldn't do and,sleep well at night. I've driven back to stores to pay for things that got through (usually toddlers with candy, once a pair of sunglasses I walked out with on my head. Drove 25 miles back, while on a long road trip to return those. )

It just bugs me to see things get stretched so far that honest people are lumped in with pirates. I don't think it's fair or will get good results for sellers, just as overly suspicious or strict parenting tends to backfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I do, however, share my Kindle account with my mother and cousin--we all buy books and read them on our various devices that are all tied to my account. According to what you are saying, though, this is considered piracy, and is against Amazon's terms of service. (Even though Amazon appears to condone it when you look at the guidance on the "Manage Your Kindle" page.) I wonder if our resident Ninja Lawyer will chime in with his thoughts?

Shari
I'd guess retailers like Amazon see it rationally enough to think it's a good way to keep sharing at a healthy limit, as in between people you are close enough to to let into your account.* They might not be able to publicly condone it, for fear of the publishers, who apparently want a purchase for every person.

*I started out using that method with my mother, sis, friend, but after awhile, i just used email for simplicity.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote