View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidslumber View Post
Dislikes:
  • Having to use the side button to unlock the screen
  • It's heavier than a Kobo (I know, it's also much more powerful)
  • No SD card slot
I never use the side button to unlock the screen. I unlock it using pattern unlock. Do you mean what you do when it has gone dark to get the screen to "show"? If so, with a case that uses magnets for putting the reader to sleep and waking it up you can briefly close and then open the cover for this. Works well, and easier IMO than fooling with the button.

I don't have any real dislikes.
  • Mostly I am impressed by how many more apps there are now that work so well on a 7 inch screen. This was definitely not the case when I bought my Vox last fall. It wasn't just that the Vox back then didn't have access to the market, either. Apps that I did get just didn't play as nicely with the 7 inch screen as those same apps do now that they have been updated and improved.
  • The device feels good in my hand. It is only about 2 ounces lighter than my old 7 inch tablet, but it is easier to hold and feels significantly lighter. I did not read on my old one, and I read a fair amount on this device--especially at night when I don't want to bother my spouse. Figuring out the screen brightness and getting the screen dim app adjusted has made a huge difference for this.
  • The device was sooo easy to root. I had the lack of SD problem solved in 5 minutes. I had never considered rooting a device before, but it really was very, very easy.
  • Now that the Calibre Companion app is available, I love being able to add books from Calibre wirelessly.

Like many people here, a lot of what I like has more to do with the apps that the device works so well with rather than with the device itself. The N7 is fast, smooth, and fun to use. I love all the choices we have.

I have customized mine so it is truly a joy to use every day. It took some time, btw. For example, I finally settled on a browser and learned how to play with the settings so I seldom have to zoom or adjust the screen. My keyboard of choice (SwiftKey) really has learned enough about how I write and what words i generally use that typing on it is amazingly fast.

I could go on and on...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote