View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Thank you for such a well written reply.

I am mainly using my PE for personal productivity and helping me organize my life. I have alot going on in my life and I can get totally sidetrack with tasks which causes me to lose track of other tasks.

Your points about evernote pretty much gives me a good idea of what I can do with it. I will start playing with evernote today and see what it brings to me in terms of productivity and organizational structure.

I am really trying hard to keep with the free services. Since my work uses google calendar, I started using google calendar from my personal account and the PE's calendar has no issues with sync'ing to both accounts. My work calendar has about a dozen sub-calendars. I'll be creating a few on my personal accounts (I'm bad with bdays so one of them will be a bday calendar). For some reason I cannot create another local calendar on the PE although the calendar system supports multiple calenders per account that you sync with (did I confuse you here?).

A few days ago I spent some time figuring how the e-ink side works and I love the fact that I can jot notes on the e-ink side for each calendar day. I can put multiple notes in and jot down what I did each weekend..

If you take a snapshot of your whiteboard, how are you searching for it? Are you telling me the text on the white board is converted to text that is searchable?

I think this is a very interesting thread and if the PE can help me in organizing my life, it' will be well worth the 125 I paid for it.

If anyone else can chime in on how the PE or any of the personal productivity app helps them, I'd be interested in hearing it.

I mentioned in, I believe, another thread that I'll be using the PE to monitor all the IP cameras I have around the house so the PE is like a picture frame that allows me to see what's going on when I'm on vacation or at work.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblots View Post
I have not played with google docs too much, so I am not sure of the useful attributes of it. What I interpret as unique elements of evernote are:

1) On the edge, I can send as "email" directly to evernote a pdf of a handwritten journal
2) I can annotate a page, and send as "email" directly to evernote a pdf of that annotated page
3) Evernote has the searchable handwriting technology...so that handwritten journal note can become searchable, but a) it has to be converted to an image file that is not pdf (I believe) and b) I am not sure how accurate it is
4) I can attach audio files to the note. If I want to record a meeting or just a quick idea that I have, I can attach that to a note
5) I like the tag structure
6) Shortcuts from windows so that if I copy something from any program, I can hit cntrl-alt-v and it gets automatically pasted into evernote

How I am starting to imagine using Evernote (to emphasize, I just started playing with it yesterday):
1) Read e-ink pdf articles on the edge, highlight/make small notes on the articles, send the relevant pages to evernote
2) I will also keep a journal open at the same time, taking longer handwritten notes, or writing formulas, and I can attach these journal files to evernote. Perhaps, converting it to image so that the handwriting becomes searchable, although I don't know how much use I would actually get from that. I feel like I would just benefit more from keeping good tags on my notes, but I can foresee the once-in-a-while instance where searching my handwritten notes might be helpful
3) I like the idea of piecing together a few important pages from many pdfs that are related to an idea that I am interested in. This helps compare/contrast these articles, and helps keep organized the articles that I have read and what I need to cite.
4) Make audio notes periodically if I'm on the go
5) if I'm working on a whiteboard, I can snap a photo (with my PE, not the EE, sadly) and this image apparently will also be searchable

Some of this the eink side by itself can do -> attaching journal notes, audio notes, highlighting important elements, tabbing pages.

However, evernote gives me the ability to bring all of that to my PC, if I want. Also, I can bring together many pdfs into a single idea, whereas the edge kind of forces me to have my ideas limited to an individual pdf.

I think this is a cool discussion about the possibilities and what others are already doing, so if anybody has thoughts, I would love to hear them.

To add one last thing, here's one of those "ridiculous, over-the-top things that evernote can do" lists:
http://www.evernote.info/index.php/t...-evernote-uses

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 08-12-2011 at 06:01 PM.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote