View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Wow, this topic has become really interesting to follow.
I have seen different reasons explaining why a brand is leader on a given market.
I would like to point also the first-mover advantage (which was implied in a previous reply, I think).
I can't back up that why numbers but I really don't think that Amazon does well *everywhere*. Japan and France come to mind. When I was in Japan, all I could find was Sony, Sony and Sony eReaders. Since then Rakuten bought Kobo, so the choice is a little bit wider. Don't forget that there wasn't any Kindle for the Japanese market before this summer (less than 6 months ago)!
In France the market is tiny with not advertised devices and deterring price tags for the content . I have to say that I have never bought a French eBook so far, because of the price. I'm sticking with Project Gutenberg and eBooks in other languages.

Regarding the device, I don't expect the same from something worth of, let's say, $50 and something worth of $150. However, I expect both of them to be of good quality and reliable. I was looking at the Kobo Mini again this morning and definitely, fiddling with the settings can improve the user experience greatly. From what I'm read here and there, I tend to think that on the hardware level, Kobos don't have to feel ashamed. On the software level, well... I don't really know. Some maker don't really update their firmware. It's much easier to release a new model, thus creating a need for it. Kobo seems to try and fix things (like the "read" option).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote