View Single Post
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #45
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The middle of the First Law series did slump a bit, but it picks up again in book 3. I loved the characters. The two standalone novels are also great. Maybe The Heroes tries to stretch a fairly short timespan over too many words, but plenty happens in Best Served Cold.

There are two popular fantasy series I recently tried to start, which both left me cold:

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. I read Gardens of the Moon, and I just don't get it. Characters I couldn't care less about. Over-topping nuclear arms-race of godlike beings. Motivations that make no sense. Events that seem to be retrospectively made important some time after they've happened. I thought it was a mess, and have no intention of reading any more of the series.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. I battled my way through the tedium that was Wizard's First Rule on the rabid recommendation of a friend. It didn't seem to have much going for it. I had to read something else when I was half way through it, to recharge myself enough to make it to the end.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote