View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I think that when they say customers don't want to own content they are alluding to having access to large libraries of content and paid for on a subscription basis.
The one issue I have with that is that someone else decides what goes into that "library"... not you. And the content owners are going to populate that library with what the majority of people want to see, and what will make them the most profit... but is not necessarily the best content, or the content I want. (Take a look at my list of TV series, for instance, and think about which ones would and would not end up in some content producer's "library." And as unique as my video collection might be, you should see the collection of movies I own...)

The subscription system is essentially like getting my movies from Blockbuster. Well, I think anyone who uses Blockbuster or a similar rental movie chain has had plenty of experiences with looking for an older, less well known, or classic movie, only to get weird looks from the staff and the story "We don't carry that" from the guy behind the counter. I don't care how many copies of MI3 they might have, if I'm looking for Shaolin Soccer and they do not carry it. That service is of little use to me.

That's why I don't want the "subscription" system, and would rather own the material I want to own, rather than what someone else decides I should rent. (That's also why I don't make many trips to the video rental store.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote