View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoi View Post
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

The bad: Her constant use of "he" to refer to Thomas Cromwell was irritating because I often wasn't sure which character the pronoun referred to. Having to re-read paragraphs just to be sure I understood who said what was annoying. She also uses quotations inconsistently for direct speech.

The good: Everything else! The characterizations, the rich descriptions of environment, clothing, memories, often lyrical. Once I got into the flow of it, I couldn't put it down.
Thank you for posting this. I was afraid of reading it, because I thought it would be tedious with the "he" matter. Will give it a try now.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote