View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 AM   #25
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you haven't bought the book. You've bought a licence which grants you certain, rather restricted, rights.
If the issue of DRM revolved around strict legality, sure -- but as stripping DRM is illegal for most of us that would be the end of the discussion.

I think the issue is ultimately a teleological and cultural one of providing creators "fair" compensation for "reasonable" use of their work. These are not subject to legal imperatives, but are cultural intuitions formed in feedback with the pre-digital refinement of copyright. I would argue in that context that DRM simply represents too great a restriction on my inuitive notion of reasonable use. I can read a p-book from 50 years ago and lend any p-book I own to a friend, and see no reason I shouldn't be able to do the same with e-books.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote