Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #23
pkovak
Connoisseur
pkovak began at the beginning.

Device: none
DRM hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think DRM often has the opposite effect from what they want to achieve. People will try to find ways to bypass it just because they aren't allowed to.
I can't agree more. Understand that DRM-free books cause no problems when you change a device and will work practicaly everywhere even after many years - how many paper books are you forced to buy again if the original cover got damaged and you replaced it with another paper cover? Thats exactly same for electronic reading devices, they are only cover for the book inside.

How many times you bought some film from local store on DVD, for example? Do you like the initial parts warning against piracy, appealing to you that copying is crime? Parts that you are not legally allowed to remove and you can't even skip it? They must be extremely popular, see, so popular they are on most DVDs!
After you see it several times, pirating such film, if only to get a version without this popular part, suddenly looks like good idea.

If I buy a book legally, I don't want anyone to tell me where, when, on what or how long I can read it. I bought it, period. DRM makes book more expensive, why should I buy with my money something I don't want, something that limits me and causing me problems?

I also think there is something awfully wrong with subject that allows me to buy non-DRM content for more money then same DRMed content. Are they saying that everyone is a pirate and must pay for it?
pkovak is offline   Reply With Quote