View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #29
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
While true, just how many books on the bestsellers list are reference and non-fiction books that require color?

The main reason color e-ink is ever going to be used is for reading comic books.

There is an academic market, but it's got to be fairly niche.
Personally, I think there will be more people reading magazines with color eBook readers than comic books. Even if novels don't require color, there are plenty of other areas where color would be welcomed and useful. Technical manuals immediately come to mind. The better programming manuals I've read makes good use of color.

There are over 14,000,000 students in colleges and universities in the United States alone. I wouldn't call the post-secondary textbook market a niche. It'll just be hard to break into for an eBook reader due to reluctance on the part of the textbook publishers. I think the publishers will eventually find that they lose less money to piracy than they do to the used textbook market.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote