View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Does anyone know what's the default font in ADE?
It is a multiple-master font which I do not think was released outside Adobe. (we need to have a multiple-master font somewhere in the engine to render PDF documents without embedded fonts). It is somewhat similar to Minion Pro, I think. Times New Roman is also similar, although more distinct.

Quote:
The guide for changing fonts in Sony readers says it's "Dutch Roman" there, is that for ePUB files?
This is true for BBeB, but not EPUB.

Quote:
Is it the same in all ADE products (desktop reader, Opus, etc.)?
It is a part of SDK, however device manufacturers can override it (or even make it user-selectable) through user stylesheet.

Quote:
I was going to add an embedded font for the Russian text in my Divine Comedy edition (which I'd expect to remove when ePUB readers properly support changing fonts), and I wanted to find a font that matches the default one as much as possible.
I understand what you are trying to do, but I think you overestimate the size of the font and underestimate how ugly it will look if fonts happen to not match (e.g. default font is made user-selectable). The ugliness will come not where you'd expect, BTW: the fact that latin and cyrillic text is in different fonts won't look bad (in fact, it will be even more readable - most professionals use a different font or at least italic for foreign-language snippets). However letters from one font and digits and punctuation from another will be terrible.

I assume you have FB2 for your text. Try converting it using http://sorotokin.com/fb2epub.html and look at the font sizes (that converter subsets the font).
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote