View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
JasperGeh
JasperGeh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, Kobo Aura One
Post 8 Questions on Oasis 2/Aura One/Inkpad 3

Hey people!

I am looking to replace my old Paperwhite with something bigger, crisper and modern and am looking at said three readers: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3.

I already compiled a comparison list with pros/cons for myself but still have (for now) eight questions which some of you can hopfully answer if you have/use of of the devices.
  1. Probably most importantly for me: Highlighting and dictionaries. I love it on my Kindle: Mark a single word and get instantly the chosen-dictionary entry plus options for highlight/note/search/wiki/translate etc. Mark multiple words and they instantly get highlighted plus the options. This one-tap interaction for dictionaries and highlighting is so great! I can also easily extract the highlights and notes to my PC with calibre. How is this handled on the Aura1 and Inkpad? And can I also extract the notes/highlights?
  2. I can get Pocket natively on the Aura1 and via Pocket2Kindle or something to the Oasis. How is the Pocket experience on the Inkpad?
  3. I don't read comics often, but how is the experience? Oasis needs to convert to MOBI but is faster and has this fastturn feature, right? Aura1 has CBR/CBZ support but is laggy, I read. What about the Inkpad and 3rd party apps for it?
  4. I mostly read horizontal with my small Kindle. How is horizontal on the Oasis with the page turn buttons facing the bottom? For the Aura1 it should make no difference and it might even be comfortable with the Inkpads buttons on the (now) side.
  5. General things and comfort: Not that important. I don't need dozens of custom fonts and I expect every reader to include the general formatting settings (page width, line space, orientation, etc.pp.) but do you know any good or missing features here? Also, how good are the UIs in terms of simplicity and numbers of taps to set e.g. brightness or font.

Thanks a bunch in advance, every single answer is highly appreciated!

Last edited by JasperGeh; 07-30-2018 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Removed questions that have been answered.
JasperGeh is offline   Reply With Quote