View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
There is a poll also in this forum that has the very same discussion ongoing:
Poll: What writing software do you use?

My preference is PowerWriter (Win only) and yWriter (Win & Linux):

like PowerWriter because it organizes writing tools closest to the way I think. I like the blank page in the largest part of the window, a tree view of the book, acts, chapters and scenes in the left pane, and multiple tabs for the writer's paraphenalia across the bottom of the window. It has a good number of prep tools (Premise, Synopsis, Characters, Plot Points, and Notes/Research). A useful feature is the ability to embed notes (e.g. "come back to this paragraph and write a long description about what the protagonist was feeling..."). I paid $100 for PowerWriter three years ago and there hasn't been a major upgrade but several small updates. Very stable and the only reason I keep looking elsewhere is that it stores all data in a PowerWriter database. It will auto-backup to another drive which I do, but as nervous as I am about losing my drivel, I still output an RTF file about once a week so that if PowerWriter never works again, I could move my work to about any other program.

You can't beat yWriter for value though since it is Free (Donations recommended since the author of yWriter is a Sci-Fi writer that uses it to write and publish his works, and improves yWriter along the way). Very full-featured and if it displayed the blank page while showing all the tabs for charaters, locations, items, etc., it would be my only creative writing tool. Truthfully, I sent Simon a small donation last year because I used yWriter during NaNoWriMo which was long enough to know it just doesn't fit me as well as PowerWriter does. simon keeps improving it (now version 5 and each was a major upgrade with small updates in between) and I keep downloading the updates and testing what he's changed about once a month. At some point he'll add enough features, or the features that fit me, and it will supplant my old PowerWriter fav. I look forward to this for one big reason: Simon uses RFT files as the individual documents to park data in this program, not a proprietary database. To me that's pretty big and if the Scene editor just acted a little more like a word processor, it would be the perfect tool for me. Many folks, including several puplished authors use it as their primary tool.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote