View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I read this book expecting more... based on the glowing reviews a few others here have given it.

This was, as the author states, and interesting and sad story. I didn't know about the OED and the fact that it contained quotations on usage of each word. How they went about doing this what interesting also. Was this perhaps the first "open source" project ever done? Actually, I also didn't understand why the Oxford press was able to "profit" from so many volunteers works.

I also agree that this was a sad story. But, I have to disagree somewhat with the author about Merritt (was that the name), the guy that Minor killed which caused him to be incarcerated was that important of a figure. Yes, it was a series of events that led to other things, but I'm not sure that really matters. If it weren't him it might have been someone else.

The book did give me a sense of how easy it is to take things for granted. Many of the comforts we have today are only their because of the sacrifice and hard work of one or many. To be able to devote so much time to one project is just unheard of these days. Especially in my current occupation as a software developer. Most people in this industry feel if you have been in a job for a few years you are VERY experienced and senior. To me, having been doing the same thing at the same job for 14 years I find that laughable.

I would rate this 3 of 5 stars I think.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote