View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Thank you! I've been waiting for this. I didn't want to have to re-send and re-index hundreds of books that were already on my K3. I've got a lot of public-domain books, as well as many epub books that I purchased for my Sony, de-DRMed, and converted to mobi for the Kindle so naturally they don't have Amazon-generated apnx files.

Previous to this plug-in I've re-sent several books at the top of my TBR list to the Kindle in order to get the calibre-generated apnx files. They were all re-indexed by the Kindle, which took time and got me wondering as to whether the Kindle's index database was clearing out the junk from the previous, overwritten version before adding the data from the newly re-indexed versions I had just sent. Some posts I've seen here seem to suggest that there was a good chance that it wasn't, and that this could possibly slow down searches and perhaps other Kindle functions, but I was too lazy to really try to find out.

I've used goaspy's apnx generator on a few titles and just added the resulting apnx file to the K3 and that worked fine (thanks goaspy!), no re-indexing, but the prospect of going to Amazon to look up the number of pages, and then loading the book to get the location count, for hundreds of books, made that option less than attractive. More laziness, I guess.

And I've got nothing against locations. I was perfectly happy with them, but if you can have both, why not? I find myself using page numbers more than the locations these days; saves me a little mental arithmetic.

Thanks again!
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote