View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
ashan
Connoisseur
ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: could be Kobo Glo or KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanbou View Post
I'm trying to decide between the standard Kindle and the Kobo Touch. In my country both of them are quite expensive, so I must be careful.

I decided to reply to this topic as it already adresses a key point for me, the Kobo dictionary. I read an old thread where people said that the dictionary and highlighting wouldn't work with non-Kobo books. Is this still true?

And what about the web browsers? My primary use for them would be to fetch a Google image for a word absent from the dictionary or one I couldn't grasp the meaning from the dictionary entry (btw, I did this a lot while reading A Song of Ice and Fire on my iPad, great way to learn clothing, food and castle vocabulary).

Testing the Kobo Touch at the store I found it page turning and the dictionary lookup quite slow (although I'm used to the iPad, that must bias me). Is the Kindle slower or faster?
Hi there, thanks for bumping the thread!
I think I left Kobo behind, I am sorry though, I absolutely love it, but that Webster dictionary is really not on par with Kindle's
Well you can't lookup a word from the book directly on google search images, but you can do wikipedia with Kindle, that's 3 touches- word,more,wikipedia without having to exit to main menu.
Kobo has implemented the wikipedia and google search on their android application thogh, so maybe in the future their readers will have it too.
For me, for now, Kindle is the one (just because of the dictionary).
ashan is offline   Reply With Quote