View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
That one's easy to stop, if anyone else is having the same issue:

In your Gmail settings, on the General tab, set "Create contacts for auto-complete:" to "I'll add contacts myself".

That's odd. That doesn't seem to happen for me. Google+ contacts are accessible in Gmail via 'Other Contacts', but they're not added to my actual Contacts list ('My Contacts' in Gmail).

EDIT: I've just found that the auto complete setting noted above puts them in Other Contacts as well. So perhaps the issue is that the sync procedures are combining Other and My Contacts?

Ever wish you'd not started an email and left well enough alone?

Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
The way that worked for me was to set up gmail as an Exchange account for calendars only - as described here. It was a bit fiddly, but now I have all my different gadgets in synch without wires. iCloud can't do this because it's apple specific. I still use wired synch for contacts, because I had problems with duplicates etc. as you describe.
Thank you both for your suggestions! To be honest, the truth is, I'm too lazy or not motivated enough to investigate all this. Syncing between different programs never works perfectly, and my experience is that after I spend a couple of hours setting it up and testing it, it will work for a few weeks or months and then suddenly stop working again and I'll have to start over again. I think I'll just keep to simple syncing between Apple devices only (although even that doesn't always work perfectly).
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote