View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
My point was that you can't express your lament in the disappearance of a business that you don't patronize.
One could lament that a business one liked failed to stay relevant and value-laden and so went under.

My immediate thoughts about the downstairs bookstore were did they make the store inviting to e-readers?
Charging stands for ereaders/tablets?
Hosting book clubs or discussions?
Open and free wifi? Can be slow.
e-reader friendly and savvy worker bees?
Putting out displays of physical books based on the Amazon/NYT top e-books?
Sell good coffee at a good price?
Display books that are not available electronically and have language saying so?
Inviting local authors who have written ebooks and placing their physical books out (can't autograph an ebook)?
Made announcement emailing lists for their 'net-savvy customers?
Annual or lifetime club membership with inexpensive but fun perks? ("This luxurious 1970s-vintage La-z-boy recliner is reserved for bookstore members")
Appropriate reading lights?

It seems to me a bookstore sells ambience and the experience as much as books. I bet there is a niche for a small bookstore to cater to readers and their needs; these needs don't necessarily have to center on physical books.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote