View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I recently did a lot of testing trying to get uniform spaces between the ellipses and double/single quotes and trying various set widths. What I discovered is that my Sony reader will have a uniform space of its own choosing when I used   between the periods of the ellipse no matter what width you try to set in a stylesheet. The ellipse is never stretched out to justify the text, and using   makes it never fall on another line, it stays with the previous text, whether there's 3 or 4 periods for the ellipse at the end of a sentence.

When viewing the same epub through Sigil's or Calibre's viewers, the spacing will be uniform only if the text is not justified. If it's justified, then the PC viewers will stretch out the spacing between the periods as it needs, making it look pretty bad horrible. It ignores any character width that you set in the stylesheet. If I made an epub strictly for PC or tablet viewing, I'd probably switch to using the ellipse character only no matter how the original book had it.

So I'm happy with using   for the ellipse since I only read from my ereader. I'm assuming most ereaders follow the same rules as the Sony, but really don't know for sure, would be nice to be able to confirm that.
Our in-house styling is thus:

word-hellips-space whatever comes next.
or
word-hellips-NBSP-period (or other punctuation mark).
(dashes added for readability--assume they are replaced with nothing)

That way we don't have dangling horizontal ellipses, which I don't like, and if there's a fourth "dot" for the period, or comma, etc., we use a nbsp to keep it together. I find, generally, that this works best when readers try to justify the text, but, as we've all seen here, there are more opinions than, well...you know.

And, obviously, if you're within the hyphenation zone on a device like a K2, that doesn't have hyphenation, you can get some stinking rivers of white. There's no perfect solution, to my way of thinking, and although I adore Jellby, I don't like using nbsp's plus periods to create the hellips. Just my $.02.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote