View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm reminded of a scene in a "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" episode called "Explorers."

Commander Sisko (a space station commander)
is flying a solar-sail powered lightship between two alien star systems, with his son, Jake, an aspiring writer.

Jake has asked his father to critique a story he wrote about a Maquis resistance fighter. Sisko says he likes it, but...
"In some places, you're writing about things you haven't actually experienced...at least I hope you haven't. Unless you've run off and joined the Maquis without telling me."

I am flabbergasted that the TV writer could put that kind of criticism in that character's mouth.
Of all people, a TV writer writing about flying a lightship between alien star systems should appreciate that "write what you know" does not mean "limit your writing to those things you have personally experienced."

Grr!
Perhaps it was meant as an inside joke?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote