Thread: DIY - KeK
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #38
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
grumble, grumble, grumble . . . .
I was going to leave the filters and profiles as hand generated things until some later date in the future.
Was

But it seems that according to:
FEIST PUBLICATIONS, INC. v. RURAL TEL. SERVICE CO., 499 U.S. 340 (1991)
they are copyrightable.

So I need to come up with a script or file representation that allows for the inclusion of a copyright statement on what I though of as "data files".
Not too bad, just takes a few hours of typing to pull the commands out of a Lua configuration table (which can hold the copyright statement in a comment). Just something I didn't want to do prior to the initial release.

But the news gets worse . . . .
It seems that the implementation of this "Pachinko style" image filtering may be patentable.
How do you do "community contributions" to something patentable without tons of legal paperwork getting in the way of accumplishing anything useful?
Another, not so minor, speed bump in the path of forward progress.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote