View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #79
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
So you are a Motown fan? I remember a time that it was hard to hear good old Rock 'n Roll for all of the Motown version of soul music that was on the Top 40 airwaves when I was in high school.
oh, yes, i am an enthusiastic (if not unconditional) motown fan. that is to say that i like some of it very much, and some of it i can take or leave. but when i'm in the mood for that, i really don't want to listen to much else. i also like motown covers : i have the soundtrack album to "standing in the shadows of motown" which is frankly brilliant. there's a version of "ain't too proud to beg" by Ben Harper which i can listen to over and over for hours. also an amazing version of "what becomes of the brokenhearted" by joan osborne. one of my other favorite original motown songs is "can i get a witness" by marvin gaye. that song rocks. in fact i think i'll listen to it right now. you know what else is a great song by marvin gaye ? "try a little tenderness." and this cover by aretha franklin is nothing to shake a stick at either.

Quote:
Right now I'm listening to the original of "Not Fade Away" by Buddy Holly. (It was later remade by the Rolling Stones.)
hehe, i looked it up on youtube... the only version of that song i knew is the one by the Grateful Dead (my dad loves them, they were the soundtrack to most of my childhood). i didn't even know that it was a Buddy Holly song originally, or that the Stones covered it later... clearly my musical culture has some large holes in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The top white top-forty AM station also had an FM underground rock sibling. That was an automated tape loop operation. Song, song, song, FCC mandated station ID break, song... but no announcer to tell you what it was they were playing. They had some amazing music, and moments of extreme frustration. "Wow! That's great! What it it? I want to buy the album! What is it? Arrgghhhh!"
oh, that would have driven me completely crazy. before the days of online playlists i used to make lists of songs i heard on the radio that i wanted identified : "14h17, something something lalala petite fleur lalala... 14h23, lala baby baby lalala..." and then call the radio station. the one i listened to the most was Radio Nova (listen online !) and since (at the time, anyway) they were a smallish operation it was always the same guy who answered the phone (he was an intern, so he got all the crappy jobs). i drove him nuts because i would make him look up dozens of songs at a time, and he was occasionally quite rude to me, but since i took it as a joke and was quite sassy back to him we eventually became friends and would go out for drinks. i like to think that it's (at least partially) thanks to me that the site has the "what was that song ???" feature ("c'était quoi ce titre ?") which allows you to search the archives. (you're welcome.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote