View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #797
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
The bug I fixed would have caused this behaviour with all justification settings. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do when using justified text (either through the Kobo GUI or the use of "text-align:justify"). I think (but I can't be certain) that justified text ignores the "white-space:nowrap" rule and causes this problem by how it's assumed to be used. In English, and I think a lot of other languages, the em-dash is not used for the context you're demonstrating - a quotation mark of some kind (" or “ and ” for English, « and » I think for French) is used and the em-dash is punctuation used only where it would be acceptable if it were moved to a new line, with very few exceptions that I can think of.

Because of that, I think that I did have a bug, which I reproduced even where it was wrong in English, and I fixed it, but Kobo also has a separate Spanish (and possibly other languages too) localization bug that may actually be a bug in the ACCESS renderer.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote