View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
For myself with bad eyesight, I find using my own font of choice to be a much more pleasant read and without any eyestrain. I can't think of one instance where an embedded font made a book "look better"... it's usually the opposite effect for me. The fonts embedded in books are always too thin for my eyesight. If it's difficult to read because of the font, it ruins the enjoyment of the book.

It's a matter of choice. But the first thing I always do is remove all embedded fonts. No one but me and my eyes can tell me what's a comfortable font for me to read, and forcing their choice on me isn't going to work. If I scan a book, I never embed or even specify font choices for the main body of text. I do often for the pages like the TOC, publishing, etc., but never for the main body.

While I love my font choice, I'd never force it on anyone else realizing everyone's preference will be different.
Sometimes a font has to be embedded because of some of the characters used in the text are not available in some of the default fonts. So in order to guarantee all of the eBook is readable, a font is embedded.

I do fully understand your reasoning for removing embedded fonts. Sometimes I do find the main font used is too thin and I either replace it with a thicker version (If I have such), modify it to add weight or change it. I prefer not to change it if I don't have to if I can get it to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote