View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
X-Ray basically is an extra file that needs to be downloaded to the device. It is downloaded once you purchase a book through Amazon - and it is available only on some books (the Amazon page clearly indicates which).

At times, you can find the same ebook in different editions in Amazon - some with X-Ray and some without. For example, I downloaded a copy of Pride and Prejudice without x-ray a while ago - when I realized I went to look for one with x-ray.

So, the short answer is no - you can't have x-ray for non-amazon content.

But... there is a but... you can actually 'fool' your kindle to download an x-ray file. Now, I don't know much about it... there was a thread on these forums a while ago. It basically comes down to changing some 'book identifier' on the kindle - so it thinks you have the Amazon version. I have not tried it, but I have seen threads about it.

Also, I have seen threads here about creating your own x-ray content. Again, I did not look into it.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote