View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
One important thing to remember is that these are fiction books. Events in these books are not really happening. Once you start censoring books because of things in them, fictional things, it's quick slope getting rid of detective stories because they have a murders in them, rapes, or anything else. There're plenty of mainstream books or classic pieces of literature that have unsettling things in them.

There are a lot of books out there that I find disturbing. My solution is I don't read them. I feel perfectly fine letting others police themselves, and letting other parents police their children.
I agree Wes. Everyone has their own taste in books and their own fantasy life. As long as it doesn't cross over into reality (in the cases where it's socially unacceptable) what is the problem? Don't like to read murder mysteries or about space aliens etc. then don't, but don't start pulling books off of shelves or we'll have Usher II or other Ray Bradbury nightmares of censorship becoming real. Some stories are generally unacceptable, but then the publishers never have published much of those types of stories anyway. And the stories that are totally unacceptable aren't likely to stick round any more than the book that the one guy was selling at Amazon did.

Last edited by crich70; 08-09-2012 at 07:12 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote