View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Jaede
Enthusiast
Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yov9 View Post
Hey there!
After waiting for eternity for the perfect eReader, I decided to stop waiting and buy the best eReader available right now.
Reading quite a lot in this forum, i came to think the Nook Simple Touch is the one for me, and the glowlight feature made me want it even more.

since I don't live in the US, getting it is a bit of a hassle and I will probably have to use Calibre and sideload the books i'll read, but I believe that overall the pros are much greater than the cons, and the nook as it is will be more than enough to keep me happy.

HOWEVER -
reading the devs forums over here, nookdevs and XDA made me aware of the great possibilities available for a rooted device.

I made a list of features that would make the nook even more awesome for me (ordered by desirability):

1. Transfer content over wifi with dropbox or similar services.
2. Read, zoom and scroll PDFs in a reasonable way for light article reading
3. Handle different formats, especially CHM, Word, TXT for studying
4. Support RTL languages and fonts on PDF and ePub.
5. Better library management method than shelves.
6. Better homescreen than stock.
7. Have a ReadItLater\”send to kindle” kind of option on PC browser.
8. Override the 250Mb sideloaded content restriction.

So, my questions are:
1. is this wishlist even possible? if yes, what do you think are the best methods to use?
2. what is the best rooting method right now? by best i mean most robust - since i won't have the option to enter a B&N store if something goes wrong, I prefer safety over "one-click" simplicity.
4. what are the chances it will work on the new glowlight iteration?
3. I just read that the "readItLater" now Pocket app stopped working on rooted nooks, due to halted android 2.1 support. do you think one should expect losing functionality on the nook as time goes by?

I'm super excited about this, will be glad to read your comments thoughts and advice.

thanks

yov9
I honestly don't know about Dropbox as I've never used it. Nor about how to bybass the memory restriction on the STR's internal memory. But with most of your wishlist you can just root the Nook, and you'll get a few more features than if you just stuck with stock.

32gb sd cards are pretty cheap now, and you can sideload from Calibre to the STR easily. I rooted mine, and while a root will void your warranty I've got to say being able to buy from Amazon, view on kindle app, and read it all on my nook makes it worth it. Can't help it-Amazon rocks for ebooks, but I hate their Kindle. It is evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only tradeoff is my sneaking suspicion that the rooting of the STR hurts the battery life. Some android market apps like to run in the background.

So in summary if your buying a nook STR the question stands-To root or not to root? Also the glowlight feature I think is great. I'm a sucker for all things B & N and will most likely buy a new reader just to have a glowing E-ink screen.

For the best method for rooting go the Ereader.com. That's where I learned to do mine.
Jaede is offline   Reply With Quote