View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I have to first caveat this by mentioning that before I bought an ereader, I was reading ebooks off of a Palm Pilot and then an iPod Touch.

That said, when I got my PRS-300 with the 5” screen, I was more than happy with the screen size, even though, with the font size choices I was using, I was actually reading more text per page on the iPod Touch than the Sony (lol). Of course, the font is physically much bigger and *much* more comfortable to read.

Yes, you have to flip the page fairly often on a 5” screen. However, all it takes to flip the page is a button press. For me, the way I hold the Sony, my thumb rests right on the button, so it takes almost no movement or effort to change the page. So flipping pages a lot is really not a big deal.

Now, I also have an Astak Mentor to read from, which has a 6” screen, and yes, that is even nicer, since more text displays per page. The 6” screen does cut down on portability, though, so if I were to limit myself to one reader, I would choose a 5” (more portable, and not a lot of loss of readability, in my opinion).

With both devices, I tend to read one-handed, using my left hand. With the Astak, because of the button placement, that means I read in landscape mode.

Finally, I find it best not to compare the reading experience to a physical book. It’s just not an apples-to-apples comparison. Because of the reduced contrast between background and text, you would probably not be comfortable reading on an e-ink screen at the same font size as a physical book (at least, that’s my experience), but that hardly matters as the content is still delivered to you in a perfectly readable format, and the physical movement involved in changing pages is so minimal.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote